You are here

Attorney Admissions

An applicant for admission must send to the Clerk of Court a verified petition and documentation as outlined below.

Attorney Admissions are governed by Local Rule 83.1.

Requirements for Admission to Practice in the Southern District of Iowa

Attorneys seeking admission to practice in the Southern District of Iowa must be in good standing as an attorney admitted to practice in the State of Iowa courts.

Documents Required to be Completed and Submitted for the Admission Application Process:

1) A Petition for Admission to Practice and the Oath of Applicant, and
2) An Electronic Case Filing System Attorney Registration Form.

Attorney Admission Packet

Federal Government Attorney Admission Packet

Quick Overview of the Admission Application Process:

1) Complete the required admission documentation and save in PDF format.
2) Submit a request for CM/ECF registration through the Attorney Registration System.
3) Counsel will receive an email for address verification, and must respond to this message.
4) The Admissions Specialist reviews the submission, verifies State of Iowa bar standing, and updates the CM/ECF user records.
5) Counsel will be emailed instructions on filing admission documents and how to pay the $188 filing fee. During this time counsel will have limited rights in CM/ECF.
6) Counsel will be emailed a notification of admission approval, and the Admissions Specialist will mail the admission order and certificate to counsel within one month.

Enter the Attorney Registration System below:

Attorney Registration System

If you are an attorney with a login and password for the Southern District of Iowa, you may bypass the Attorney Registration System and file your admission documents directly in CM/ECF. You will need to call the Admissions Specialist at 515-323-2842 to obtain the required case number to file your registration documents.

Attorney Admission FAQ

  • Who may approve my Petition for Admission?

    A Federal Judge (including a Federal District Court Judge, Federal Magistrate Judge, or Federal Bankruptcy Judge), Justice of the Supreme Court of Iowa, Judge of the Iowa Court of Appeals, or a Judge of the District Court of Iowa may approve the application. The form cannot be approved by an Associate District Judge or State Magistrate.

  • Does the notary who signs my form have to be from Iowa?

    No. The notary can be from the state where you reside.

  • Does Bankruptcy Court require separate admission?

    Yes. Bankruptcy is separate from District Court, but Bankruptcy requires prior admission to the District Court, so the above requirements would still apply.  For additional information on Bankruptcy admission requirements, please visit their website at or call 515-284-6230.

  • If I am admitted in the Northern District of Iowa, am I required to be admitted separately in the Southern District to practice in both jurisdictions?

    Yes. The Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa have separate admissions processes and CM/ECF Filing Systems. To practice in both jurisdictions, an attorney must be admitted in both courts and seek admission separately.

  • Are government attorneys exempt from the admission procedure or the fees?

    Government attorneys permanently stationed in Iowa must comply with all admission requirements.