Hardware and Software Information
Filing documents into CM/ECF electronic filing systems requires the following hardware and software:
- A personal computer running a standard platform such as Windows or Macintosh.
- A PDF-compatible word processor like Macintosh or Windows-based versions of WordPerfect or Word.
- Internet service.
- Internet Explorer Version 8.0 or 9.0 or the most current version of Firefox
- Software to convert documents from a word processor format to portable document format (PDF). Adobe Acrobat PDF writer is recommended. Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available for free, is needed for viewing PDF documents.
- A scanner may be necessary to create electronic images of documents that are not in your word processing system. Document Format
CM/ECF systems are designed to accept only documents in Portable Document Format (PDF). This format was chosen because it allows a document to retain its pagination, formatting and fonts no matter what type of computer is used to view or print the document. It is also an open standard format. Adobe developed the format, and offers software that allows conversion of documents created in word processing programs also contain features that convert documents created in those programs into PDF.